Thursday, August 11, 2011

5 AM Muffins

Is it correct to say '5 AM'? Or, should it be '5am' or '5 am'? This is probably one of those times when Google would come in handy. What did we do before Google? Did we just ask each other (kind of like I'm attempting right now)?

It's 9:21 AM on Thursday, August 11th. I have been up for 4 hours and 21 minutes, after about 6 hours of dream filled, fitful sleep. This is actually not bad for me these days. My belly is really big and my body can't stay comfortable for more than 45 mins, max. As a result, I've built a pillow fortress, which helps, but needs major adjusting each time I shift positions. When i woke up this morning to shift, I was so hungry that I just had to get up.

Getting up so early definitely has it's perks: the house is nice at 5 AM. Plus, there is no real rush to do anything. Time takes on a slower quality, which feels rare these days.

To fill my slow moving time, I decided to make muffins. Spelt hemp apple walnut muffins. They were good and baked sort of quickly, which was nice since I was so hungry.

I woke Charlie up with the promise of a hot muffin if he would come downstairs and hang out with me (it was almost time to get up anyway). He seemed to be fairly game, without much convincing. So downstairs we went and muffins we ate.

Here is the recipe, which i found online and adapted by adding the hemp and oil:

Dry (mix in one bowl):
1 1/2 cups of spelt flour
3/4 brown sugar
1/2 cup hemp protien powder
1/3 cup ground flax
1 tsp soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg

Wet (mix in other bowl):
1/2 cup yogurt
1 cup almond milk
1 diced apple
1 beaten egg
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla
walnuts

Mix until just blended and scoop into muffin papers. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 25 mins at 325 (or until knife comes out clean).



No comments:

Post a Comment