Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Carrot Ginger Orange Coconut and Thyme Soup




This soup was the product of leftovers. It was pretty easy and it has an unexpected flavour, although I would tweak it here and there if I made it again. Actually, if I read the title of the soup I would think it was going to be really fruity and almost thai or tropically influenced. But not really...it's a bit more savoury than that, with just hints of the flavours in the title (um, maybe I should have called it something different??).

Obviously, depending on amounts used, the balance of the flavours can change to suit your mood.

here is what i did:

- Chopped 4 medium carrots and sauteed them with 3 chopped shallots and half a big yellow onion (in a hot pan with oil). I didn't peel the carrots, i washed them but left the peels on. Totally due to laziness.

- Added half thumbs worth of chopped ginger and two cloves of garlic once the onions were a bit translucent

- threw in 2 tbsp dried thyme and continued to saute for a bit

-added 2 cups of water, 2 veggie soup cubes, juice of one orange and the zest of one orange. Let it boil and them simmer for a while (30 mins maybe)

-Add 1/2 cup coconut milk and juice of half a lemon, salt and pepper to taste

I always feel kind of nervous about posting my own recipes...what if it's like having kids and how you can't really tell if your kids are cute? Maybe I can't tell if my food is good!?

On a totally unrelated note, I watched an episode of Mad Men last night that had clips of Ann Margret singing 'Bye Bye Birdie' - my god that is not something you want in your head for hours on end while you're home alone. I think that might just be what it sounds like to lose your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment