Monday, November 15, 2010

Vegan Springtime Fettucine



















Nothing says autumn like a springtime pasta! This vegan dish uses tahini for the sauce base and was, in my opinion, pretty darn good. Unfortunately, I discovered a bit late in the game - long after asking Charlie to check if we had a cup's worth of tahini - that he hates the taste of tahini!

I modified the sauce to de-tahini it a bit and next time will swap some soaked cashews for the tahini...

This recipe called for either fiddleheads or asapragus and I used the latter. I sort of kicked myself later when I realized that I had preserved fiddleheads in the cupboard. How often do you need fiddleheads?? I missed my big opportunity! Next time I'll create my fiddlehead opportunity, rather than passively waiting for one to come along.

Here's the Spring noodle recipe (jae steele):

Oh and by the way, you should feel free to use soba or udon if you prefer them to fettucine

- Boiled asparagus (to your own desired consistency). Pour cold water over them once you strain them.

- Cooked pasta (8 oz)

Sauce, comprised of the following:
1 cup tahini
1/4 cup chopped cilantro or parsley
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 mellow miso paste
4 med garlic cloves
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 cup water

* I modified the sauce by adding tamari (i had no miso, inexplicably, as it literally vanished and I've come to accept that I'll never know what really happened to it). I also added extra cumin, cilantro and lemon juice and one less garlic clove. As mentioned, next time I'd use cashews. I think the cashews are just as fattening as the tahini, if that's a concern for you.

Toss pasta and asparagus with sauce and garnish with black sesame seeds

You'll definitely have extra sauce (unless of course you like your pasta heavily sauced) and it makes a great veggie dip.

I also made steamed kale with enoki mushroom, shitakes, garlic, ginger, onions and tamari.

No comments:

Post a Comment