Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Gold or silver?


I just saw this beautiful gold flatware posted on www.apartmenttherapy.com and wanted to talk about it. It seems like silver has been the 'gold standard' in flatware forever and I think it's high time we shake things up. Personally, I really like the warm look of gold and brass (and polished nickel!!). In fact, I sometimes wonder why shades of rose gold aren't more popular in jewelry.

My mother gave me my great-grandmother's silver for a wedding gift and I love it. I want to use it everyday but have grown afraid to do so. Afraid of the time it would take to hand wash it and afraid of the tarnish that the dishwasher would cause it. As an experiment I selected a 'sacrificial spoon' and have forced it to mingle in the drawer with a lower class of everyday cutlery. I treat it just like the others. It's used with the same frequency and casualness as the rest of the cutlery, and I have run it through the dishwasher countless times. The result? It's tarnished, but the colour is lovely - I almost prefer it to the predictable silver. Charlie has assured me that if I ever grow to hate the colour, we can just polish it and it will return to it's original silver. If this is true, then why is everyone so afraid to use the good silver everyday?? I'm totally going to.

Oh, and why not grab some mismatched vintage silver from the flea market? It's a bargain and I bet the low price would take the sting out if it does get tarnished in the dishwasher.

BTW, more details on the gold flatware are here:
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/catalog/prod.jhtml?itemId=prod35280165&srccode=cii_16776730&cpncode=00-1543496-2&ecid=NMCIProntofeed&003=5839538&010=H1HPB

No comments:

Post a Comment