Friday, July 22, 2011

Making Room for Baby!












Designing the baby's room was challenging but a good time. After obsessing over EVERY element I decided to make some stuff from scratch, rather than buy. My overall goal was a really sweet room that was definitely 'baby' but not too matchy or too gendered. It was important to have a really minimalist look that felt tied together and had some of the vintage echoes from the rest of the house.

We got the room painted in good old 'Cloud white' (Benjamin Moore) and bought the crib and dresser from Ikea. The curtains are in 'Milk Pail' and they're Martha Stewart. I made all of the art and floor pillows, with the exception of a velvet grey one that I bought, we re-purposed an old vintage chair, and I bought these cute little grey sheep skin rugs for the floor. My friend Rachel bought us a beautiful blanket for our shower and it fit in beautifully with everything.

The pictures where super easy to make:

Take vintage wall paper or scrapbook paper and cut out any shape you want. Glue it to card stock and frame it. How simple is that?? And not pricey at all.

For the pillows, i used the same shapes as I did for the art, and just used fabric paint in the palette of the nursery. Unfortunately, the fabric paint colours dried a little too bright, as compared with how they looked in the bottle. I wanted something a little more muted, but it wasn't the end of the world. I ended up making some chocolate brown elephant pillows for my sister's nursery too - it was a really unique and easy gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment